Thursday, September 2, 2010

toy story 3.5

this past weekend little man attended a "toy story" themed party. dress-up was optional, but i'm always a sucker for dress-up :o)
but that little stinker took for-eh-ver to decide who he wanted to be. on friday as we rushed around joanne's fabrics i said "THAT'S IT. pick now or forever hold your peace."

and of course, he picked woody. not a shocker.
and also of course, i can NOT just slap a cowboy hat and jeans on the boy and send him on his merry way. in true googiemomma fashion, i must over-do. (it's all in the interests of accuracy, i swear)

and he went off to the party like this:


don't mind mr. goofy here. it's his best impression of a cowboy swagger.

anyway, here's the details:
hat: bought at joanne's. the most expensive part of the costume at $3.99.
shirt: no way could we find the right fabric. so we picked up a yard of a gold quilter's cotton and a red fabric dye marker (i didn't even know they existed!)
googiedaddy, being the sweetie that he is, drew grid lines on the pieces after i cut them out. (i just used one of little man's dress shirts as a pattern)



our inspiration watches us work:


his vest i sewed from cow print fabric, easy to find. i used about 1/2 yard, and again used an existing vest of little man's as a basic pattern, altering the front to more closely resemble woody's vest.



i hot glued a badge that we bought at walmart (and can i tell you how crazy it made me when i realized woody's badge is actually GOLD and i have SILVER...i may or may not have sent googiedaddy out to the shed looking for gold spraypaint...and i may or may not be a lunatic) the hankerchief is just a plain red fat quarter, 99 cents.


his belt, buckle & holster were made from a large sheet of brown foam and a small sheet of gold foam, 99 & 69 cents respectively. some fancy cutting and hot glue work, and voila!



including a paper towel roll match, cause we're hard core toy story fans here. :o)
and when i say hard core, i mean truly, truly authentic. the best part of the whole costume?


'there's a snake in my boot!'

a pull string, sewn on a piece of elastic for that snap-back factor, and made from a $1 store foam wreath sprayed white.


okay, i did draw the line at boots. but when googiedaddy reminded me that i could have written "andy" on the bottom....oh, it was so hard not to run out to the store STAT!!!

final breakdown? about $11 total. not too shabby.

and would you believe that was not the only costume i made for sunday's party?

we also had need of an 'EVIL DR. PORKCHOP' for a friend's little guy.

behold the EVIL DR. PORKCHOP JUMPER AND BEANIE (coming soon to a store near you)



he comes complete with a "cork", and in the back...



unfortunately this is the best shot i got of his adorable curly tail, and the black just above? his coin slot. (and not the nasty kind, thankyouverymuch)

ridiculously cute, no???

he was made from a couple yards of pink fuzzy stuff, some pink satin from my stash, and black felt for the hat and slot. the cork i had too.

and if that's just not enough cuteness for you,(you are sooo demanding) take a look at who i would vote for as winner of best costume. (even though i had nothing to do with this one)


ooohhh....the clawwww

and you want to know the really sad part? i sew costumes for my girls all.the.time. i can whip out a princess dress faster than a pillowcase.

but as i sewed up the woody costume i realized something: this is the first costume i ever made for little man.
bad, bad mommy.

linking up to some of THESE great parties!
Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. Awesome Woody costume!!! Again loving your creativity with licensed characters. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a Woody costume for my son similar to this also several years ago. I remember they had the real thing at the Disney stores for like $50. I ended up buying a hat, belt and boot cover set for around $12. I bought a white oxford shirt and dyed it yellow then used a sharpie and drew the lines on like you did. Then I made the vest just like you, also. Much, much cheaper and I got so many compliments on it. I even sold it on ebay afterward for more than the supplies to make it! Where did you get your boy's hat? It all looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son was Woody last year. His bathroom is also Woody inspired, but he wants to be Yoshi this year.....so sad..I'm still diggin' on Woody.

    Great job with the costume. The party looked like a lot fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those costumes are adorable! Woody is wonderful!!! Thanks for the comment and good luck with the giveaway...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did NOT see that ring pull coming. My boy had a bought Woody costume years ago and it went to a few book parades and stuff but I never even thought of whacking a ring pull on it. You're so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the cutest! My 3 year old is Toy Story crazy. He wear his brother's old Woody costume that I made 14 years ago. It takes me back. I love your pig and alien. Just adorable. Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! It's nice to know I'm not the only one obsessed with accuracy. I think my hubby thinks I'm certifiable because of that. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How adorable! Mr Tea Rose Home loved this idea too! Very crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello-I love your blog but have never commented before-oh my goodness-you made me laugh SO hard when I saw the pull string on Woody's back! So funny-I love it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great costume! Hope he will get to wear it for Halloween, too! You even did the pull-string, just like I was going to for my husbands costume (it seems like I might have had some issues with the spray paint and the foam). We did a whole Toy Story family theme for Halloween last year:

    http://meandmyinsanity.blogspot.com/2009/11/halloween-2009the-big-reveal.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pull string!! LOL. Such a great job! i bought a red cowgirl hat at the dollar store just today for my daughter. I've been trying to figure out if I could pull off a Jessie costume for Halloween. You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. cute! i'm currently working on my daughter's jessie costume. the one at the store is NOT cute. you should check out my woody and jessie bday party. bethkruse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is SOOO great! MY little man absolutely is obsessed with Toy Story (I can easily quote every movie by now) and I was thinking of doing Buzz (his favorite) for Halloween... but this seems so much more doable! By far better than the store bought ones.

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line. please? don't make me beg...it's not pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails